Alastair Cook no longer an officer but still an asset to England’s new commander | Vic Marks
The record of former England captains as run-scorers is not that encouraging – only David Gower seems to have prospered – but such is Alastair Cook’s single-mindedness he can buck that trend“He’s no Mike Brearley” was a ...
Guardian Saturday, 11th February 2017, 12:00PM - Read article
New England Patriots prove the potency of the great comeback | Andrew Anthony
A moment of impossible fortune proved the turning point that sparked a stunning Super Bowl revival, and reminded us why fightback wins are the most cherished of allIn Fever Pitch, his peerless football fan’s memoir, Nick ...
Guardian Saturday, 11th February 2017, 10:00AM - Read article
Wicketkeeper Sam Harper taken to hospital after being struck with bat
Victorian was standing up to stumps when he suffered blow to headNot the first time this summer a player has been hit by a batScans have cleared Victorian wicketkeeper Sam Harper of any major injury after being taken to ...
Guardian Saturday, 11th February 2017, 6:34AM - Read article
Pakistan suspend Sharjeel Khan and Khalid Latif over match-fixing concerns
• Pakistan T20 openers caught up in domestic investigation• Authorities say ‘syndicate attempting to corrupt Pakistan Super League’Pakistan’s two opening batsmen in their nine-wicket Twenty20 win against England last yea ...
Guardian Friday, 10th February 2017, 5:51PM - Read article
Glamorgan's Wallace retires
Glamorgan wicketkeeper Mark Wallace has announced his retirement from first-class cricket after 18 years with the county.
Sky Sports Friday, 10th February 2017, 4:30PM - Read article
Andrew Strauss holds talks over England Test captaincy with Joe Root
• Ben Stokes and Stuart Broad also spoken to about role• Root poised to step up from position as Test vice-captainAndrew Strauss, the director of England cricket, has begun the process of selecting his new Test captain a ...
Guardian Friday, 10th February 2017, 10:05AM - Read article
Lancashire duo pen new deals
Lancashire County Cricket club pair Liam Livingstone and Saqib Mahmood have both signed new deals to keep them at Old Trafford, the club confirmed on Friday.
Sky Sports Friday, 10th February 2017, 8:15AM - Read article
Young Indian cricketer's astonishing innings makes him global sensation
Mohit Ahlawat, 21, a farmer’s son from a rural district north of Delhi, is coolly facing his sudden stardom in the way he faces bowlersHis world-first 300 run knock in a Twenty20 match at a suburban Delhi cricket ground ...
Guardian Thursday, 9th February 2017, 8:31AM - Read article
Nic Maddinson takes a break from cricket for 'personal reasons'
• Maddinson pulls out of New South Wales’s clash with Queensland after also missing match against Victoria • Batsman had been dropped from Australian Test side after matches against South Africa and PakistanAustralian cr ...
Guardian Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 9:49PM - Read article
Reform can't come soon enough given maelstrom of current cricket rankings | Geoff Lemon
A string of complex calculations tell us that South Africa are on the cusp of seizing top spot but if they do rise to world No1, will dethroned Australia care? Oh woe and pestilence, Australia stand to cede a shining cro ...
Guardian Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 7:00PM - Read article
Flintoff podcast special
In the latest Sky Cricket Podcast, Rob Key is joined by special guest Andrew Flintoff to discuss Alastair Cook’s resignation, the future of domestic T20 cricket and why there is no such thing as a yorker anymor ...
Sky Sports Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 3:28PM - Read article
Alastair Cook plays a straight bat to the end but Kevin Pietersen regrets linger | Andy Bull
In his last press conference England’s outgoing captain says he gave it his best shot but admits fallout from Kevin Pietersen sacking took a heavy tollThis time there were no tears or tantrums, spats, scandals, angry wor ...
Guardian Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 10:00AM - Read article
Indian becomes first player to score triple century in Twenty20 match
Mohit Ahlawat’s unbeaten 300 from 72 balls includes 39 sixes and 14 fours‘After seeing off the new ball, I decided to just bat aggressively’An astonishing innings of 300 not out has propelled Mohit Ahlawat into cricket’s ...
Guardian Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 2:58AM - Read article
England’s Eddie Jones wheels out new weapon against Wales: Gareth Southgate
• Football manager spends day helping rugby team prepare for Cardiff game• Jones seeks answer to why England are ‘petrified of playing Wales in Wales’Eddie Jones has been picking the brains of his football counterpart, G ...
Guardian Tuesday, 7th February 2017, 8:04PM - Read article
Jason Gillespie says the timing is perfect for Joe Root to become England captain
• Former Yorkshire coach believes it would take Root’s game to ‘next level’• Adds that it he would benefit from the continued presence of Alastair CookAs England supporters await confirmation of Joe Root’s ascension to t ...
Guardian Tuesday, 7th February 2017, 4:12PM - Read article
Alastair Cook: ‘Coming back from India, I didn’t think I could do it again’
• Decision hard for England captain ’because I knew what I was giving away’• ‘When I looked in that mirror, I felt it was time,’ says CookAlastair Cook believes it is “the right time for me, and the right time for the te ...
Guardian Tuesday, 7th February 2017, 2:18PM - Read article
Joe Root can bring aggression to England captaincy in new big-hitting era | Vic Marks
Yorkshireman, who looks set to replace Alastair Cook, is the right leader for the gung ho generation and his county’s record of Test captains augurs wellThe most measured, drama-free departure from the England captaincy ...
Guardian Monday, 6th February 2017, 4:06PM - Read article
Captaincy was duty not art for Alastair Cook, English cricket’s finest servant | The Spin
To Cook, captaincy was a corollary of his monumental batting. Having carried the burden through 59 tumultuous Tests, he steps down exhausted but unbrokenWhen Alastair Cook started at Bedford School, his father bought him ...
Guardian Monday, 6th February 2017, 11:27AM - Read article
Alastair Cook steps down as England Test captain
• Cook speaks of ‘huge honour’ and says he wants to continue as a player• No announcement on successor with Joe Root expected to step upAlastair Cook has stepped down as England’s Test captain after a record 59 matches i ...
Guardian Monday, 6th February 2017, 9:43AM - Read article
ICC begins Big Three rollback despite India's objection
India votes against proposal after failing to get motion deferredFinal decision on new financial and governance models to come in AprilThe International Cricket Council has agreed “in principle” to reverse the 2014 decis ...
Guardian Sunday, 5th February 2017, 10:03AM - Read article