South Africa overwhelm Sri Lanka after Hashim Amla hundred creates platform
• Group B: South Africa 299-6; Sri Lanka 203. SA win by 96 runs• Sri Lanka crumble to Imran Tahir after Hashim Amla centuryOn a sunlit, boisterous afternoon at the home of the unceasing beer tap supply system, South Afri ...
Guardian Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 6:44PM - Read article
Virat Kohli quells rift with Anil Kumble as India prepare for Pakistan
• ‘There are no problems whatsoever’ with head coach Kumble, says Kohli• Captain insists India’s focus is on Champions Trophy match against PakistanVirat Kohli moved to quell the growing talk of a rift between his India ...
Guardian Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 4:38PM - Read article
Sri Lanka v South Africa: Champions Trophy – live!
ICC Champions Trophy updates from the third matchCounty cricket – live! Join Will Macpherson for the latestAnd feel free to email Nick or tweet him @NickMiller79 10.54am BST 4th over: South Africa 11-0 (Amla 6, de Kock 3 ...
Guardian Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 10:54AM - Read article
County cricket: Yorkshire v Lancashire, Middlesex v Somerset – live!
All the action from around the grounds on day twoYorkshire’s Ben Coad cracks Lancashire batsmen with six-wicket haulListen: Freelance CC podcast with Gareth BattyYou can email Will here or tweet him @willis_macp 8.58am B ...
Guardian Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 10:26AM - Read article
Mohammad Amir’s reawakening can jolt India and lift Pakistan from torpor | Barney Ronay
The 1992 World Cup winners have been left behind by their all-conquering neighbours but there are signs that the old aggression is returningIt is customary when India play Pakistan at cricket to dwell on the astonishing ...
Guardian Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 8:01AM - Read article
CCD2: Wells ton inspires Sussex
Luke Wells continued his impressive start to the season with a second successive Specsavers County Championship century for Sussex on day one of their Division Two game against Worcestershire at Hove.
Sky Sports Friday, 2nd June 2017, 9:00PM - Read article
CCD1: Yorkshire skittle Lancs
Ben Coad took a career-best 6-25 as Yorkshire seized control of the Specsavers County Championship Roses clash at Headingley by bowling out Lancashire for 123 on day one.
Sky Sports Friday, 2nd June 2017, 8:50PM - Read article
Australia’s pace bowling storm subdued by New Zealand and Edgbaston hoodoo | Andy Bull
Australia’s fearsome quicks were frustrated by Kane Williamson’s century in a rain-hit Champions Trophy game at a ground where Australian bowlers have struggled in recent yearsBeer sales were just a little brisker than t ...
Guardian Friday, 2nd June 2017, 8:27PM - Read article
Champions Trophy 2017: rain halts New Zealand charge against Australia
• New Zealand 291; Australia 53-3 – No result, one point each• Edgbaston rain renders Kane Williamson century futileSteve Smith did not mince his words after Australia’s Champions Trophy opener with New Zealand ended in ...
Guardian Friday, 2nd June 2017, 7:51PM - Read article
Yorkshire’s Ben Coad cracks Lancashire batsmen with six-wicket haul
• Coad takes career-best six for 25 as Lancs all out for 123• Division Two leaders Notts bowled out for 229 by DerbyshireJames Whitaker, the England chairman of selectors, came here hoping Haseeb Hameed could arrest his ...
Guardian Friday, 2nd June 2017, 7:37PM - Read article
New Zealand v Australia: ICC Champions Trophy 2017 – live!
Live updates from the second match of the tournamentYorkshire v Lancashire and more: county cricket – live!Virtue-signalling cuckery: sponsor Daniel’s Three Peaks ChallengeEmail Daniel here or Tweet him here with your th ...
Guardian Friday, 2nd June 2017, 11:37AM - Read article
County cricket: Yorkshire v Lancashire, Middlesex v Somerset and more – live!
Live updates from the latest County Championship roundEmail Will here or Tweet him here with your musingsAustralia v New Zealand: Champions Trophy – live!Listen: Freelance Cricket Club podcast with Gareth Batty 11.11am B ...
Guardian Friday, 2nd June 2017, 11:11AM - Read article
Did a trip to a London cricket ground inspire Real Madrid to wear all-white?
The legend says Arthur Johnson, a key figure in the club’s history, suggested a white kit after watching football at The Oval, but there are competing theoriesBy Nick Miller for The Nightwatchman, of the Guardian Sport N ...
Guardian Friday, 2nd June 2017, 10:24AM - Read article
England’s Chris Woakes to miss rest of Champions Trophy due to injury
• Woakes out with side strain he suffered in win against Bangladesh• Finn, Roland-Jones or Curran most likely replacement for key all-rounderEngland’s worst fears have been realised with the news that Chris Woakes has be ...
Guardian Friday, 2nd June 2017, 9:28AM - Read article
Australia look to exorcise demons of four years ago with Champions Trophy win | Geoff Lemon
Australia’s exciting bowling attack gives Steve Smith’s side a chance to make up for the disappointment of 2013 – and deflect attention from an ugly pay disputeWhatever happens in this year’s Champions Trophy, the Austra ...
Guardian Thursday, 1st June 2017, 9:00PM - Read article
Chris Woakes injury mars England’s win in Champions Trophy opener
• Bowler could miss rest of tournament after pulling up with side strain• ‘It is a worry when he goes off,’ says Eoin Morgan after beating BangladeshJoe Root ensured England’s Champions Trophy campaign began in style as ...
Guardian Thursday, 1st June 2017, 8:35PM - Read article
Alex Hales shows worth after Adil Rashid falls victim to England tradition | Ali Martin
Opener laid foundation for successful chase but leg-spinner dropped at 11th hour felt badly missed when Tamim Iqbal was sending Bangladesh fans into a frenzyThe importance of Alex Hales to England’s one-day team can feel ...
Guardian Thursday, 1st June 2017, 8:27PM - Read article
Joe Root’s 133* helps England beat Bangladesh in ICC Champions Trophy opener
• Bangladesh 306-6 (Iqbal 128); England 308-2 (Root 133*, Hales 95)• England win by eight wickets with 16 balls remainingAs the Oval crowd purred in the late afternoon glare, letting out the odd gurgle of pleasure as Joe ...
Guardian Thursday, 1st June 2017, 6:48PM - Read article
FCC cricket podcast: Gareth Batty on England, money and the state of spin
We met Surrey and England player Gareth Batty to talk about his long career, spin bowling and how English cricket may be on the verge of a pay disputeBy Will and Vish, for Freelance Cricket Club, part of the Guardian Spo ...
Guardian Thursday, 1st June 2017, 3:49PM - Read article
England v Bangladesh: Champions Trophy 2017 – live!
ICC Champions Trophy opener updates from The OvalBarney Ronay: Stokes the totem in England’s rebootAnd you can email Tim or you can tweet him here 5.13pm BST Tim will be here shortly. Continue reading...
Guardian Thursday, 1st June 2017, 9:30AM - Read article