Worcestershire County Ground
Seating capacity: 4,500
Ends names: New Road End, Diglis End
After its formation in 1865 Worcestershire CCC played its early games at Boughton Park but with its granting of first-class status decided to build a permanent headquarters on three sheep fields owned by the Dean and Chapter of Worcester Cathedral three sheep fields, now known as New Road. The Pavilion is the original one built for the start of the 1899 season and looks little changed in over a century.
An unusual feature for a county ground is that it regularly floods; there is even a brass plaque in the Pavillion which records the highest ever flood in 1947. 2007 was particularly bad for Worcestershire when two summer floods made the ground unusable after June 21, costing the club £800k in losses. Despite this Worcestershire won the NatWest Trophy that year.
In 2004 the Basil D’Oliveira Stand was constructed at the Diglis End of the ground and there are currently plans to re-develop the Members' Pavilion, New Road Stand and Severn Bridge Site.
County Cricket News October 2009
New Road, Worcester, WR2 4QQ
Source(s): CricketArchive, Worcestershire CCC