Leicestershire County Cricket Ground
Seating capacity: 12,000
Ends names: Pavilion End, Bennett End
After decades of playing at sub-standard venues, the Leicestershire Cricket Ground Co Ltd purchased 16 acres of land in 1877 and laid out the Grace Road ground which opened the following year.
Despite large capital investment in this new ground, attendances were low, largely due to poor transport infrastructure at the time. Another new ground at Aylestone Road opened in 1901 and remained the club's headquarters until after the Second World War when it returned to Grace Road.
The club eventually purchased the land in 1965 and steadily developed it as a first-class venue.
County Cricket News October 2009
Grace Road, Leicester, LE2 8AD
Source(s): CricketArchive, Leicestershire CCC