Warwickshire County Cricket Ground - Edgbaston
Seating capacity: 17,500
Ends names: City End, Pavilion End
When Warwickshire CCC was founded in 1882, there was no consensus as to where to have the club's headquarters. Birmingham and Leamington were the generally supported candidates, with other members even favouring a 'wandering' club. Eventually Birmingham was chosen and 12 acres of meadowland by the banks of the Rea, on the Calthorpe Estate, were acquired. By mid 1886 Warwickshire opened the new ground with a fixture against an MCC team.
As well as being Warwickshire CCC's home ground, Edgbaston has hosted Test Matches since 1902 and ODIs since 1972. It is soon to undergo a £30m redevelopment commencing in January 2010 and due for completion by the summer of 2011.
County Cricket News October 2009
Edgbaston Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B5 7QU
Source(s): CricketArchive, Warwickshire CCC