St Lawrence Ground

Team: Kent

Established: 1847

Seating capacity: 15,000

Ends names: Pavilion End, Nackington Road End


Home to Kent County Cricket Club, the St Lawrence Ground is one of the world's oldest grounds on which first-class cricket is still played. Redevelopment plans worth £9million with the hope of gaining Test Match status have been postponed due to the recent recession.

The ground is unusual as one of only two first-class grounds worldwide which have a tree within their playing boundary. The original lime tree, around which the ground was constructed in the 1840s, was destroyed by high winds in 2005 and has been replaced by another lime tree, planted outside of the boundary in 1999 in anticipation of its demise. The new tree has been moved into the playing area although is currently only 6 feet high; the original at its peak was 120 feet.

The presence of the original tree and its replacement within the playing area require a special local rule; shots blocked by the tree are counted as a four.

County Cricket News October 2009


Old Dover Road, Canterbury, Kent CT1 3NZ

Source(s): CricketArchive, Kent CCC